Think of a dish that is cheesy. A dish that would melt in your mouth the moment you eat it. A dish that is absolutely delicious and makes you reach for a second serving despite feeling guilty.
Can you think of it?
A very common dish that comes to mind that fits the description above is Mac & Cheese. But today, I’ll be sharing a similar but different version of Mac & Cheese – Baked rice!
Actually pasta and rice can be used interchangeably, it just depends on what I’m craving for that day 🙂 Do yall prefer rice or pasta? Let me know below!
It is quite simple to prepare baked rice; it should take around 40 minutes in total including baking time. Ingredients needed are cooked rice, cheese (I usually use cheddar and mozzarella), chopped white onions, frozen mixed vegetables (carrot, corn and peas), cut mushrooms (I usually use canned button mushrooms), egg and sometime sausages or ham.
For the sauce, I use Campbell’s “Cream of Mushroom” soup concentrate. Instead of diluting the concentrate with water to make soup, I just use the concentrate itself to spread on top of the ingredients as a sauce. When baked it will become a delicious creamy sauce that allows you to experience the “melt in your mouth” moment. I learnt this small trick a few years ago and never strayed from it. Trust me, it will taste better than you think!
This dish is also perfect for those who wants to meal prep as you can bake it and leave it for 1 – 2 days in the fridge. Pop it in the microwave to heat it up and it’s ready to eat. 🙂
For those who are interested, the brief steps taken are:
- Melt butter in a pan. Add in eggs and scramble them. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Remove from pan when cooked.
- Melt more butter in the pan. Add in chopped onions and stir fry till fragrant.
- Add in frozen mixed vegetables, mushrooms, sausages (or any other ingredients) and stir fry for a few minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Layer rice, ingredients, sauce and cheese. I usually repeat this 2 times to fill my Pyrex pan.
- Bake for around 15 – 20 minutes or until the top turns a yummy shade of golden brown.
- Time to serve!! 🙂
I hope you guys liked this post, if you do please do give it a “like” and follow me! I will really appreciate if you guys would follow me on my Instagram @whiskoflife too! ❤ Thank you all and till next time! xoxo